Over the course of my career I have had the great fortune to work at several law firms and work with lawyers who made important contributions to "the law of baseball."
I thought it would be fun to celebrate the 2014 World Series with a LAW AND BASEBALL Crossword Trivia Contest.
Rules of the Game: The first person to send me a copy of the completed crossword (or a list of correct answers to the questions below) at firstname.lastname@example.org will be declared the "Dewey B Strategic Law and Baseball Trivia Champion." The winners name will be prominently displayed on this blog when the answers are posted at the conclusion of the contest.
Good Luck and enjoy the fun!
Please note: Due to a numbering error in the puzzle. I have had to regenerate the puzzle. The clues and answers are the same but the numbering is different than in the version which was posted this morning,
Access the Crossword Click here to access an interactive version of the crossword.
3. In testifying before Congress, this Supreme Court nominee compared the role of a judge to that of an umpire.7. The baseball player and manager who was banned from baseball for betting on his team.
8. 19th century lawyer and US President who played an early version of baseball and built a ball field called the "white lot" behind the White House.
9. A 2002 study by this agency determined that metal bats are not more dangerous than wood bats. (abr.)
11. Players cannot prevent the use of their own names and statistics in Fantasy Baseball due to this Constitutional guarantee.
12. The first patent dispute involving baseball equipment related to this item.1
3. Major League Baseball had to purchase their current internet domain mlb.com from this Amlaw 100 law law firm.
17. The only lawyer to have a major league baseball stadium named after him.
19. If a pitcher intentionally hits a batter in the head with a baseball he can technically be charged with this crime.
20. The controversial reserve clause system which bound players to teams indefinitely was replaced by a new system called __________.
23. An early version of the rules of baseball were called the _______________ Rules.
24. The illegal practice of selling game tickets for more than their “face value.”
25. Movie featuring the trial of Shoeless Joe Jackson and other members of the Chicago “Black Sox’”.
26. He caught Barry Bonds 73rd home run ball…then dropped it. …then he sued Hayashi… then he sued his lawyer!
27. The World Series was cancelled in 1994 because of this players union action.
28. Lawyer and Former US Senator who led the investigation of steroid use in baseball.
- 1. The modern “right of publicity” was outlined in an opinion regarding these baseball related items.
- 2. The only US President who was co-owner of a major league Baseball team
4. This law school dropout was the first US President to be issued a Presidential Pass by MLB.
5. Justice Holmes wrote that the Sherman Act did not apply to baseball because baseball teams were not engaged in_________ .
6. Attorney J Bruce Henderson brought 17 lawsuits to keep this team from building their stadium.
10. Supreme Court Justice who as a federal District Court Judge issued the injunction “which saved baseball”
14. The legal principle which prevents a spectator who is hit by a baseball from suing the team or the stadium.
15. Lawyer and former NY Governor who was signed as an outfielder for the Pittsburg Pirates before attending law school.
16. Lawyer, baseball player and manager who pioneered the racial integration of Major League Baseball by signing Jackie Robinson.
18. NYU Law Grad who started his sports broadcasting career with a radio show about NY little league baseball players.
21. Public Law 105-297 is named for this baseball player.
22. An “illegal” move by a pitcher that entitles a runner to advance.
29. Lawyer who became the first commissioner of baseball.